Connect with ARRS on Social Media
Find us on
Twitter - @ARRS_Radiology
Facebook – www.facebook.com/AmericanRoentgenRaySociety
Linkedin - www.linkedin.com/company/arrs
eaking the Glass Ceiling
er’s achievements and endeavors are a few examples of the connections female radiologists and other physicians have made
through social media. Though we don’t directly eliminate gender disparity, we certainly find the support, opportunities, and
advice from our female peers to be of great value.
The administrators of Radiology Chicks posed the question
on Facebook asking members what they liked about the group.
Many respondents expressed gratitude for the connection with
other female radiologists because they may be the only woman
in their practice or have felt that they were alone in their experiences. A lot of women appreciate the sense of community, including the personal and professional discussions on the site. People
have also found the group welcoming and supportive in the midst
of differing perspectives.
The use of social media for interest groups has existed for more
than five years on Facebook. With the continued rise in engagement of active Facebook users, including 70% of users on the site
daily and up to 45% using the site multiple times in one day [ 11],
there will continue to be an evolution of human connection online.
What we have seen so far with female-oriented groups has mostly been a positive experience for all members of the online social
sites, and we expect this to continue as the community grows larger
and more women actively participate in these groups.n
1. Park N, Kee KF, Valenzuela S. Being immersed in social networking environment: Facebook groups, uses and gratifications, and social outcomes.
Cyberpsychol Behav 2009; 12:729–733
2. Ellison N, Heino R, Gibbs J. Managing impressions online: self-presentation
processes in the online dating environment. J Comput Mediat Commun 2006;
3. Nabi RL, Prestin A, So J, et al. Facebook friends with (health) benefits?
Exploring social network site use and perceptions of social support, stress,
and well-being. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 2013; 16:721–727
4. Oh H, Lauckner C, Boehmer R, et al. Facebooking for health: an examination
into the solicitation and effects of health-related social support on social
networking sites. Comput Human Behav 2013; 29:2072–2080
5. Cleminson J, Oddie S, Renfrew M, et al. Being baby friendly: evidence-based breastfeeding support. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2015;
6. Avendano M, Berkman L, Brugiavini A, et al. The long-run effect of maternity
leave benefits on mental health: evidence from European countries. Soc Sci
Med 2015; 132:45–53
7. Kumar S. Burnout and doctors: prevalence, prevention and intervention.
Healthcare 2016; 4:37
8. Weiss J, Teuscher D. What provisions do orthopaedic programs make for
maternity, paternity, and adoption leave? Clin Orthop Relat Res 2016;
9. Huang R, Yang M. Paid maternity leave and breastfeeding practice before
and after California’s implementation of the nation’s first paid family leave
program. Econ Hum Biol 2015; 16:45–59
10. Sandler BJ, Tackett JJ, Longo WE, et al. Pregnancy and parenthood among
surgery residents: results of the first nationwide survey of general surgery
residency program directors. J Am Coll Surg 2016; 222:1090–1096
11. Duggan M, Ellison NB, Lampe C, et al. Social media update 2014: while
Facebook remains the most popular site, other platforms see higher rates of
growth. Pew Research Center website. http://www.pewinternet.org/
files/2015/01/PI_SocialMediaUpdate20144.pdf. Published January 9, 2015.
Accessed January 18, 2017
12. Moorhead SA, Hazlett DE, Harrison L, et al. A new dimension of health care:
systematic review of the uses, benefits, and limitations of social media for
health communication. J Med Internet Res 2013; 15:e85
Gupta SC. Temple University Hospital, Department of Radiology
Solberg AO. University of California Irvine, Department of Radiology
With the continued rise in engagement of active Facebook users, including 70% of users on the site
daily and up to 45% using the site multiple times in one day, there will continue to be an evolution of
human connection online.